Despite the Oscars 2016 boycott making waves in cinema circles, Chris Rock is still hosting the Oscars – despite pressure on him to step down in protest against the Academy’s lack of diversity. Scroll down for more details.
Last Friday, Variety reported that sources stated Chris Rock would still go ahead and host the Oscars amidst the #OscarsSoWhite protest. Now the website has said the Academy Awards producer Reginald Hudlin told Entertainment Tonight at this Saturday’s NAACP Image Awards lunch that Chris Rock’s opening monologue will tackle the hashtag phenomenon in a significant way. It is reported that the Madagascar star has rewrote his entire set in reaction to such figures as Jada Pinkett Smith, Spike Lee and Will Smith announcing they would be swerve the ceremony.
Hudlin had this to say on the matter:
Chris is hard at work. He and his writing staff locked themselves in a room. As things got a little provocative and exciting, he said, ‘I’m throwing out the show I wrote and writing a new show.’
Should we expect controversy then? Remember this is an awards ceremony that rubbed people up the wrong way when Seth Macfarlance sang about seeing Kate Winslet’s boobs. Hudlin expects as much:
And, yes, the Academy is ready for him to do that. They’re excited about him doing that. They know that’s what we need. They know that’s what the public wants, and we deliver what the people want.
It was also confirmed earlier in the week that the Academy would be overhauling its membership to be more inclusive and promote diversity, with the aim to double the number of minority and female members within four years.
What do you think about the #OscarsSoWhite conversation? Is it about time the Academy changed their ways and represented minority filmmakers fairly? Whatever your thoughts, sound off in the comments section below.